includes free shipping
Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on February 1, 2019.
- DVD Video - 4+ hours Instructions
- 6 hr 20 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- LAURA EHLERT, PSY.D.
- PESI Inc.
- 2/1/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Communicate how sensory, language, and executive skills impairments create fight/flight/freeze and defensive responses that lead to dysregulation and related behavioral issues in children.
- Select the appropriate intervention strategies to improve student skills including self-control, social success, emotional regulation and task completion.
- Employ behavior modification techniques and problem-solving strategies to diffuse students' escalated and oppositional behavior.
- Implement environmental strategies to accommodate children’s processing deficits and emotional regulation needs.
- Utilize problem-solving strategies to develop appropriate behavioral expectations and coping mechanisms for improved self-regulation skills in students.
- Apply cognitive restructuring strategies to reduce frequency, severity and duration of children’s behavioral and emotional outbursts.
Treatment Approaches Using Processing Perspectives
- improve self-regulation in children through our own paradigm shifts
- Ping + Ping + Ping = Frustration and dysregulation
- De-escalation strategies and precursors to problem-solving
- Behavioral and mindful intervention for dysregulation triggers
- Integration, meaning and perception
- Experience your own dysregulation to sensory challenges
- Reduce sensory triggers
- Desensitize strategies to reset the ‘panic switch”
- Manage the environment to reduce sensory overload
Executive Functioning Deficits
- Incorporate language processing into our understanding of behavior
- Meaning = perception = reality = response
- Your emotional response to their language challenges
- Recognize, validate and problem-solve common language deficit triggers
- Social Pragmatics insight and behavior
Perspective-Taking and Meaning
- Impact of processing inconsistencies on daily functioning
- Experience how we might set kids up to fail without realizing it
- Problem-solving strategies to improve organization, working memory and meta-cognitive deficits
- Environments that manage fidgeting, restlessness and inattention and provide positive social-emotional regulation
- Roadblocks created by executive skills deficits
- The “Set-up”: Child’s expectations + delayed development = failure
- Develop appropriate expectations; Pitfalls and strengths of developmental models
- Strategies for triggering triggers
- Reinforcing desired behavior using Nurtured Heart Approach
- Create realistic expectations through better understanding of the child’s process
- Behavior modification and skills coaching: Resetting and choices to improve self-regulation
- Environmental structures that regulate
- Empower children to improve self-regulation
- Cognitive restructuring to reduce tantrums and emotional dysregulation
- Reduce stressors
- Improve child’s acceptance and personal responsibility for behavior
- Create realistic expectations
- Learning/teaching flexibility
- Use language to self-regulate
- Movement and exercise to regulate the brain
LAURA EHLERT, PSY.D.
Laura Ehlert, Psy.D., is a child clinical psychologist who has worked with children and adolescents with severe emotional/behavioral issues for over 25 years. She holds a doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology where her training focused on developmental issues of childhood, and child psychopathology issues. Over the years, she has worked with thousands of youth in a variety of settings including hospitals, residential treatment centers, partial hospital programs, school day treatment and outpatient mental health settings. Dr. Ehlert maintains a private practice in Burnsville, Minnesota, where she specializes in working with clients who struggle with information and sensory processing deficits and associated emotional, behavioral and mental health issues. Professionals who have worked with Dr. Ehlert in the past have often commented that interventions she offers succeeded where others have failed.
Financial: Laura Ehlert maintains a private practice. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Nonfinancial: Laura Ehlert has no relevant nonfinancial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- Social Workers
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- School Guidance Counselors
- Case Managers
- School Administrators
- Educational Paraprofessionals
- Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Other Helping Professionals who Work with Children
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Kids, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.