- Digital Seminar
- Downloadable/Streaming MP4 Video and MP3 Audio with electronic manual and instructions.
- TERESA GARLAND, MOT, OTR/L
- PESI Inc.
- CE Available:
- No, CE credit is not available
- Product Code:
- Utilize effective calming, sensory, motor or behavioral techniques and activities for a given type of behavior in the classroom, clinic and home.
- Demonstrate early predictors of ASD, ADHD and sensory challenges in infants and toddlers to design appropriate interventions.
- Implement interventions for repetitive and restrictive behaviors for a child with stereotypy.
- Integrate peer-to-peer video feedback into social interventions for children and teens with ASD to increase social ease.
- Utilize the “Bedtime Fading with Response Cost” sleep intervention for children with erratic sleep schedules.
- Design innovative grounding activities and organizational strategies effective for teens with ADHD for at home and school.
- Integrate “team-based” self-regulation interventions for the classroom, clinic and home.
The Many Challenges of Self-Regulation
A Little Bit of Neuroanatomy
- Balancing the needs of the body, brain, senses, emotions and the social self
- Emotional regulation and sensory regulation
- Neurotypical children v. atypical children
- Differences with ASD, ADHD, and other challenges
- How well are we doing the research?
Let’s Talk about Infants and Toddlers
- Cerebellum: The prediction machine
- The ASD, ADHD, sensory connection
- Mapping emotions
- The vagal nerve’s job in all this
Self-Regulation for All Age-Groups and Behavior Types
- Early predictors of ASD, ADHD and sensory challenges
- Infants, temperament, crying and social attention
- Facial expressions and emotions in ASD
- Parent video feedback with infants makes a difference!
Eating and Sleeping Can Co-opt Good Effort
- Calming and gradual exposure and desensitization
- Rethinking the classroom, office, and/or home environment
- Strategies for pre-school and the kindergarten classroom
- Play, play, play! Inside/outside the classroom
- Classroom aerobics and other activities
- Heavy work, exercise, deep pressure and play
Autism Spectrum Disorder: Techniques You Should Absolutely be Using
- Effect of poor sleep on repetitive behaviors and negative affect in ASD
- Effects of sensory processing on sleep
- Bedtime Fading with Response Cost (BFRC) Intervention
- Melatonin, elimination diets and supplements for ASD and ADHD
- Sensory intervention at mealtime
ADHD: Effectively Intervene with This “Moving Target”
- Engaging lists, stories and transitions (Make them fun!)
- J. Shauls’s Conversation Train (and more!)
- Making consistency as your modus operandi
- Play engagement, DIR, ABA, Discrete Trials and more
- Restrictive, Repetitive Behaviors (RRBs) Interventions
- High order v. low order
- Exercise and aquatic movement
- Ayer’s Sensory Therapy®
- Mixed method interventions
- Help kids with ASD handle peer rejection
- Video feedback for social scenarios: Do’s and don’ts
Special Interventions for Teens and Tweens
- How imaging studies have challenged our ideas of ADHD
- A new look at combined ADHD and Concentration Deficit Disorder
- Innovative organization techniques
- Creating simple habits and keeping it simple
- Grounding activities: Mindfulness, karate, HIIT
- Self-management intervention and “getting to center”
- Check impulsivity meta-cognitive group games
- Revisiting feedback and timing in the cerebellum
It’s a Team – Going for the Championship
- Video feedback: Create appropriate expressions, reactions and interactions
- Social skills programs to develop real-life empathy
- Regulation techniques for social situations and avoiding peer rejection
- Sensorimotor Therapy to cut through trauma
- Partnership of teachers, therapists and specialists
- Interlace the team’s self-regulation goals to make them effective
- How to include parents: Highly effective at-home interventions
TERESA GARLAND, MOT, OTR/L
Teresa Garland, MOT, OTR/L, is an occupational therapist and author specializing in sensory and modulation issues. She has worked in schools, sensory clinics and medical settings with children and adults, treating sensory disorders, ADHD and autism. Ms. Garland works closely with other health professionals, teachers and doctors to understand and treat underlying sensory, timing, and coordination/motor planning issues as well as overlying socio/emotional behaviors in the symptoms of autism. She is trained/certified in the SIPT, Interactive Metronome®, Integrated Listening Systems (iLs), Therapeutic Listening, Wilbarger’s Sensory Defensiveness, the Natural Heart Approach, Mindfulness Training, and Food Chaining. Her bestselling books are titled Self-Regulation Interventions and Strategies: Keeping the Body, Mind and Emotions on Task in Children with Autism, ADHD or Sensory Disorders (PESI, 2014) and Hands-on Activities for Children with Autism & Sensory Disorders (PESI, 2016).
Financial: Teresa Garland is an author for PESI Publishing & Media and receives royalties. She receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Teresa Garland has written case studies for Interactive Metronome®. She writes a blog on self-regulation (otselfregulation.blogspot.com).
Continuing Education Credits
CE Credit is not available for this product.
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Teachers/School-Based Personnel
- School Administrators
- School Social Workers
- School Counselors
- School Psychologists
- School Guidance Counselors
- Social Workers
- Licensed Professional Counselors
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI Kids, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.